Wouldn't it be great to feel better about ourselves? Why is it so hard to build our self-esteem? The reality is that often times, our self-esteem can be very unstable. It can change by the minute, hour, or day depending on what we are doing. Self-esteem is made up of two parts: our global self-esteem and our self-esteem in specific life domains.
Self-esteem plays an important role in almost everything we do. When it is higher, we feel better about ourselves and in turn, we are more resilient. We are less vulnerable to set-backs and anxiety. We are less impacted by emotional wounds, and our body responds better to stress. We feel more competent in our abilities to handle what life throws our way.
In therapy, you and I will take a look at what makes up you own personal self-esteem. We will then work to implement ways to build life-long lasting self-esteem into your every day life. This will include:
- Learning to use positive self-talk and affirmations correctly (learning to be your own cheerleader)
- Identify your areas of competence and then implementing ways to develop them
- Learning to accept compliments and then learning to give yourself compliments
- Decreasing self-criticism and increasing self-compassion and self-love
- Learning to affirm what you are worth
- Learning to believe in yourself